The illegal alien anchor baby scam has been defeated again. Let’s see to it that it stops raising its ugly head.
The vote was 54-41.
Senate Republicans on Saturday doomed an effort that would have given hundreds of thousands of young illegal immigrants a path to legal status if they enrolled in college or joined the military.
Sponsors of the Dream (Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors) Act fell five votes short of the 60 they needed to break through largely GOP opposition and win its enactment before Republicans take over the House and narrow Democrats’ majority in the Senate next month.
……Critics called the bill a backdoor grant of amnesty that would encourage more foreigners to sneak into the United States in hopes of being legalized eventually.
“Treating the symptoms of the problem might make us feel better … but it can allow the underlying problem to metastasize,” said Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz. “Unfortunately, that’s what’s happening at our border.”
Give credit where it’s due. American patriots in the Tea party helped squash this bullshit.
The Tea Parties did it. Not only had they threatened establishment Republicans with primary opposition, but they had actually beaten one … two … three of them. Nothing like fresh heads on pikes to, er, reinforce a persuasive (to my mind) policy argument. Score one for losing Delaware Tea Partier Christine O’Donnell, who knocked off establishment pick Rep. Mike Castle (who voted for DREAM) in the GOP primary. Even score one for Alaskan Joe Miller. He probably alienated Republican Lisa Murkowski by beating her in the primary, and ultimately she won reelection anyway as a write-in. But that’s just one lost Senate vote. By my count, Miller’s primary coup may have helped gain around ten votes by terrifying GOP incumbents who might otherwise have been tempted by the prospect of a feel-good, bipartisan, MSM-approved pro-DREAM stand.
Democracy can be a wonderful thing …
By the way the part about “a path to legal status if they enrolled in college or joined the military” is a LIE.
Via Senator Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.):
- The DREAM Act Is NOT Limited to Children — Applicants can be up to the age of 29
- The DREAM Act Will Be Funded On the Backs Of Hard Working, Law-Abiding Americans — CBO failed to assess costs for education, increased levels of unemployment due to the addition of workers to the workforce, and increases in potential applicants because of loopholes.
- The DREAM Act PROVIDES SAFE HARBOR FOR ANY ALIEN, Including Criminals, From Being Removed or Deported If They Simply Submit An Application — Burden of proving inaccurate information on a DREAM Act application is on the Department of Homeland Security.
- Certain Inadmissible Aliens, including those from high-risk regions, Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act
- Certain Criminal Aliens—including drunk drivers—Will Be Eligible For Amnesty Under The DREAM Act — The DREAM Act allows applicants be convicted of 1 felony or up to 3 misdemeanors.
- Conservative Estimates Suggest That At Least 1.3 Million Illegal Aliens Will Be Eligible For the DREAM Act Amnesty. In Reality, We Have No Idea How Many Illegal Aliens Will Apply
- The DREAM Act Does Not Require That An Illegal Alien Finish Any Type of Degree (Vocational, Two-Year, or Bachelor’s Degree) As A Condition of Amnesty — The applicant only has to complete the equivalent of two years of college.
- The DREAM Act Does Not Require That an Illegal Alien Complete Military Service As A Condition For Amnesty, and There Is already A Legal Process In Place For Illegal Aliens to Obtain U.S. Citizenship Through Military Service
- Despite Their Current Illegal Status, DREAM Act Aliens Will Be Given All The Rights That Legal Immigrants Receive—Including The Legal Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members For Immigration
- Current Illegal Aliens Will Get Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and Other Forms of Federal Financial Aid
Illegal aliens sneak into this country with no intention of assimilating, becoming American citizens the legal way, or adopting the United States in a heartfelt committment. They come here with a list of demands and expect the American citizen taxpayers to foot the bill.
Very few anchor babies dedicate themselves to military service, but they’ll sure take advantage of the free college education, though.
Playing catch-up by chasing down, prosecuting, and deporting illegals in this country is, as Senator Kyl mentioned, just treating the symptom. The disease is the unsecure borders that leak like a fucking sieve. Obama, Janet Napolitano, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, and the rest of the open borders/pro-illegal alien assclowns refuse to do what it takes to protect our national sovereignty and actually secure the borders.
The Dems would love to ram amnesty for illegal aliens through the legislature; it will give them another voting bloc.