You knew this would happen. I predicted this back in May:
I don’t expect much to come from any court trial of Strauss-Kahn. He’ll likely pay the victim off, get a slap on the wrist, and then deported.
I must be a psychic.
A New York judge dropped all criminal sexual assault charges against ex-IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn on Tuesday, leaving him free to return to France and rebuild a shattered career.
The decision to drop the case ended three months of sordid headlines on both sides of the Atlantic about a hotel maid who accused the International Monetary Fund director of forcing her to perform oral sex.
Prosecutors sought dismissal of the case after discovering contradictions in her story that undermined her credibility.
Strauss-Kahn, who many had seen as the next president of France, was hauled off a plane leaving New York for Paris and arrested on May 14. He resigned from the IMF four days later, his political plans in tatters.
Lurid details of the case and past sexual encounters that emerged to shock and titillate the French have tarnished the former Socialist finance minister’s reputation and make a political comeback difficult.
Strauss-Kahn left court smiling with his wife Anne Sinclair, saying in a statement that his life had been a “nightmare” and would have nothing more to say about the case.
“I look forward to returning to my country but I have a few small matters to take care of first. I will discuss this at greater length (later),” he told reporters later.
New York State Supreme Court Justice Michael Obus initially stayed his dismissal of the case for an emergency appeal. But within two hours an appeals court rejected the last-ditch effort to push the case forward under a special prosecutor.
That appeals decision appeared to leave Strauss-Kahn free to return to France.
Prosecutors from the office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance on Monday outlined how they lost faith in the accuser, hotel maid Nafissatou Diallo, a 32-year-old immigrant from Guinea who alleged Strauss-Kahn attacked her in his luxury hotel suite when she entered to clean it.
He vehemently denied the allegations and pleaded not guilty to the charges of a criminal sexual act, attempted rape, sexual abuse, unlawful imprisonment and forcible touching.
While her account of the assault remained steadfast, Diallo told a series of lies about her past and about what happened immediately after the incident in the $3,000-a-night suite in New York’s Sofitel hotel, prosecutors said.
While evidence of semen was found on her uniform, in the hotel room and on his boxer shorts, prosecutors said they were unable to prove lack of consent, leaving the case hinging on the believability of the accuser.
‘A few small matters…’ Gee, I wonder what they could be. Keep in mind Strauss-Kahn has quite a history.
In 2002, Kahn attempted a similar assault on a 22-year-old French journalist, Tristane Banon .
Aurélie Filipetti, a well-known Socialist MP, claimed to have been groped by him, and declared she would “forever make sure” she was never “alone in a room with him.”
Strauss-Kahn’s sexual assault exploits are interpreted as ‘seducing’ by the French.
The next female he tries to “seduce”, needs to “seduce” him with a swift kick in the nuts.