The peaceful religion of Islam and its acolytes.
From Fox News.
Canadian authorities announced Monday they have broken up an Al Qaeda-linked terror plot to attack a passenger train as it crossed over a bridge in the Toronto area.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said Monday that two suspects have been arrested on terrorism charges. Chiheb Esseghaier and Raed Jaser, who live in greater Montreal and Toronto — were conspiring to carry out an Al Qaeda-supported attack against Via Rail, but posed no immediate threat to the public.
“It was definitely in the planning stage but not imminent,” RCMP chief superintendent Jennifer Strachan told reporters at a news conference.
The six-month investigation, called “Project Smooth,” was coordinated with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, CBC said. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement the operation was coordinated by a multi-agency team comprised of the national police, Canadian Security Intelligence Services, the Canada Border Service Agency and other law enforcement and national security partners in Montreal and Toronto, Canada’s two largest cities.
……Police said the men are not Canadian citizens, but they would not comment on where they are originally from.
According to Heavy.com:
Chiheb Esseghaier, of the Montreal area, is one of two suspects named in an alleged Canadian terror plot to derail a train from Toronto to New York. He was named at a press conference this afternoon and was arrested in Montreal.
Here’s what we know about him so far.
1. He’s 30 years old.
2. A biotechnology blog by a man with the same name living in Montreal says its author was born in Tunisia and is a Ph.D. student. He has a degree in industrial biology and a master’s in industrial biotechnology.
3. A LinkedIn profile belonging to a man with the same name, also in Montreal, has similar information to the aforementioned blog. It says he speaks Arabic, French and English. It lists his skills as Microscopy, Nanotechnology, AFM, Spectroscopy and Characterization.
Raed Jaser of the Toronto area is one of two suspects named in an alleged Canadian terror plot to derail a train on the route between Toronto and New York. He was named at a press conference this afternoon. Authorities say the plot is linked to al-Qaeda.
Details are scarce, but here’s what we’ve learned so far. Stay tuned for updates.
1. He is 35 years old.
2. He was arrested in Toronto.
3. A Twitter user and reporter based in Toronto, @kurtbradwill, has located the house he believes belongs to Raed Jaser.
In addition, according to @kurtbradwill, there are no other Raed Jaser’s in Canada.
Meanwhile, there’s a Raed Jaser listed as co-owner of Nexus Executive Limousine Services in Markham, Ontario, a suburb Ontario.
There was no answer at a number listed for the limousine service when Heavy.com dialed it. @kurtbradwill says the limo service shut down in 2011.
4. Both suspects are not Canadian citizens, according to authorities. The name Jaser is most common in Jordan, Germany, Saudi Arabia and America.
5. Both suspects will be in court in Toronto tomorrow.